Thanks to Emperor Francis I Stephen of Lorraine – in his name the husband of Empress Maria Theresia – the city of Vienna is today home to the world’s oldest zoo. From the rudimentary enclosures and cages in Schönbrunner Schlosspark a modern, animal-friendly and species-protecting habitat developed – for native, exotic and even endangered animal and plant species.
Tiergarten Schönbrunn – Zoo Vienna
With around 2 million visitors a year, Tiergarten Schönbrunn – Zoo Vienna is today one of the top destinations for Austrians as well as for tourists from all over the world.
10 facts about the zoo in Vienna
- is one of the most modern zoos in the world: with species-appropriate and natural designed enclosures.
- is home to about 500 species of animals – from monkeys and bears to crocodiles and birds of prey, wolves and wild boars to cats and zebras.
- in the “ORANG.erie” the fascinating orangutans are at home.
- Since 2014, the polar bears have been going for 1,700 square meters in the “Franz Josef Land”.
- in the adjacent “desert house” is the flora and fauna of the deserts around the globe at home.
- In 2007 the first panda born in a zoo was born. Incidentally, other panda babies followed in 2010 and 2013!
- Guided tours and workshops for young and old are offered throughout the year – including “horse whisperers”, backstage tours or ethology seminars on the program.
- Tiergarten Schönbrunn has repeatedly been named an eco-business company: it requires a special commitment to environmental protection – based on strict criteria.
- Once a month, the night tour beckons – people over the age of 10 can experience the very special atmosphere of the animal world at night in a group with a limited number of participants.
360-degree tour of the Tiergarten
The Tiergarten is located in the castle park of Schönbrunn Palace
Access without waiting – online ticket
We recommend buying an online ticket as it will help you get to Tiergarten faster.
Tip: free entrance comes with the Vienna Pass in the zoo Schönbrunn, since the entrance with purchase of the advantage card integrated. Further information: Vienna Pass