A New Year’s greeting to the whole world: the highly traditional Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra plays from the vast repertoire of the Strauss dynasty and their musical contemporaries at the turn of every year. The concerts take place in the Vienna Musikverein.
For millions of people, the New Year’s Concert is the first highlight of a new year. Due to its vast popularity, the concert is also broadcast in over 90 countries.
New Year’s Concert 2018
The Vienna Philharmonic’s New Year’s Concert for this year took place under the conduction of Riccardo Muti on January 1st, 2018. The Italian conductor Riccardo Muti has worked with the Vienna Philharmonic for several decades and had the honour to conduct at this exceptional event previously in 1993, 1997, 2000 and 2004. In 2018, he introduced pieces that had long since been heard at the event.
The programme of the New Year’s Concert 2018:
- Johann Strauss (Son) – Entrance March from the operetta “Der Zigeunerbaron” (The Gypsy Baron), no op.
- Josef Strauss – Vienna Frescos. Waltz, op. 249
- Johann Strauss (Son) – Bridal Parade. Polka, op. 417 and Light of Heart. Quick polka, op. 319
- Johann Strauss (Father) – Mary Waltzes, op.212 and William Tell Gallop, op. 29b
- Franz von Suppé – Overture of “Boccaccio”
- Johann Strauss (Son) – Myrtle Flowers. Waltz, op. 395
- Alphons Czibulka – Stephanie-Gavotte, op. 312
- Johann Strauss (Son) – Magic Bullets. Quick polka, op. 326 and Tales from Vienna Woods. Waltz, op. 325 and Festive March, op. 452 – Town and Country. Polka mazurka, op. 322 and Un ballo in maschera. Quadrille, op. 272 and Roses From The South. Waltz, op. 388
- Josef Strauss – Eingesendet. Quick polka, op. 240